Cardiff University Psychiatry Service (CUPS)
As well as conducting research, we also offer a second opinion service for a limited range of conditions delivered by our clinical academic team.
The Cardiff University Psychiatry Service (CUPS) is a referral-only clinical service that makes use of the world-leading clinical expertise within the university.
This service is provided jointly through Cardiff University and Cardiff and Vale University Health Board.
We provide second opinions in the areas of expertise of our team, which include:
- Treatment-resistant schizophrenia and psychosis
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and Complex PTSD
- Perinatal mental health, particularly postpartum psychosis
- Treatment-resistant depression in the context of immune or inflammatory disorders
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) in severe or treatment-resistant psychiatric disorders
In addition, we provide a service with NHS genetics colleagues at the interface of mental health and genetics to provide information and assessment for patients and families.
Access our services
We can only accept referrals from mental health teams involved in the ongoing care of the person being referred. Please note we are unable to accept self-referrals.
If you would like a second opinion from the CUPS, then you will need to discuss this with your clinical team.
Please address referrals to the individual clinician – click on the individual clinical academic staff below for a summary of the clinical areas in which they offer second opinions.